A bathroom renovation doesn’t have to be a full-on project—changing a few touches can make a big difference. For example, a simple change in lighting can affect the overall feel of the room—for the better.
The lighting design tips and products below offer ideas for simple makeovers to one of the most trafficked rooms in the house: the bathroom. (And if you need more lighting makeover ideas, download our free brochure).
Make bathroom lighting changes to the sink and vanity areas.
Changing your lighting scheme or the lighting fixtures that you're currently using in the sink/vanity area can spruce up your space with minimal investment (in labor and in dollars).
What to keep in mind as you make your selections…
- Vanity lights are a great way to add light to your sink. Many manufacturers build fixtures that you can mount up or down, depending on the effect you want to achieve. For example, mounting up will bounce light off the ceiling, which helps create a soft glow below. Mounting down will direct light to where you need it most.
- Sconces mounted on either side of the mirror can also create fantastic light. Pro tip: Place sconces with glare-free glass diffusers ideally 36" apart for even illumination at eye level.
- Backlit mirrors are another great option. Many manufacturers are emphasizing backlit mirrors or mirrors that implement lighting within the mirror itself. This makes for easy installation.
Add accent lighting to create interesting visual effects and for increased functionality.
In addition to beautifying your space, accent lighting can support your overall lighting efforts.
Ways to use accent lighting:
- Decorative sconces or pendants can add elegance or ambience (or both) to your bathroom.
- Under-sink lighting, cove lighting, and toe kick lighting are so much easier to use and install now, thanks to flexible LED tape. Extrusions and lenses will diffuse light and protect the tape from moisture.
- LED tape can also backlight mirrors, and micro spotlights can pinpoint light on beautiful sinks.
Here are a few of our favorite bathroom lighting products: