If you've ever visited one of our lighting showrooms, then you've seen, first hand, the many wonderful lighting fixtures that are available. Our lighting consultants love working one-on-one with customers as they browse our wide selection and choose the perfect fixture for their space.
That said, we also have customers who want something truly unique: custom light fixtures.
(Above: A fabricator at Hubbardton Forge bends the arms for a custom chandelier.)
So what is a custom light fixture, exactly? Custom light fixtures typically include requests for one or more of the following:
- Small tweaks (e.g. adding a switch on the backplate)
- Custom shades with your own fabrics.
- Modifications (e.g. reconfiguring a three-light chandelier into five lights)
- A fixture you love in a finish that it isn't normally available in
- Full-blown original designs
In other words, if you can imagine it, chances are good that we'll find a lighting manufacturer who'll be able to turn your idea into reality.
How do you know if a custom light fixture is right for you and your home? A custom-made light fixture might be the perfect choice if you're working with a narrow color/finish palette, if you prefer truly one-of-a-kind pieces (an aesthetic that's reflected throughout your home), and/or if you're looking to create a family heirloom.
How do you go about ordering a custom light fixture? At Wolfers Lighting, we simplify the process by acting as the conduit between you and the lighting manufacturer. This ensures that you…
- Have access to a lighting consultant who can discuss your options and provide feedback regarding your ideas before reaching out to a lighting manufacturer
- Understand and are aware of different lighting manufacturers who might be a great fit
- Receive a custom quote that you understand and can sign off on before any work begins
- Have someone you can rely on to answer any technical questions that the manufacturer might ask
A couple things to keep in mind when it comes to custom lighting fixtures: Ordering a custom fixture takes longer than ordering a fixture that the manufacturer already has in stock, for obvious reasons. Lead times can vary widely, depending on the manufacturer. Not all lighting manufacturers customize fixtures (this is another benefit to working with us—we typically know the ones that offer this service and who do it well).
Here are a few examples of lighting manufacturers known for their customization and impeccable artistry.
1. Hubbardton Forge. Based in Vermont, Hubbardton is one of our favorite lighting manufacturers. Each lighting fixture is already one-of-kind, since they hand forge each piece, so requesting further customization is a straightforward process and something that the folks at Hubbardton Forge welcome.
Below is a fabulous example from the Hubbardton website of a sketch turned into reality. (Image by Hubbardton Forge.)
2. Schonbek. If you're looking to do something original with crystal lighting, you'll definitely want to consider Schonbek. Its product designers and engineers collaborate under one roof to create an "authentic masterpiece" that "offers more than 50,000 combinations of finishes, crystal types and styles." Combine that with the fact that Schonbek and Swarovski are sister companies, and you know you're in good hands where glitz and glamour are concerned.
3. Hammerton. Luxurious, yet wholly originally is the name of the game for this dynamic lighting manufacturer that offers custom options and variations on each fixture. Here's just one example of a fun, you-won't-see-it-anywhere-else design.
Are you interested in a custom light fixture? Stop by one of our lighting showrooms. Or make an appointment. Our lighting consultants would be happy to help you get the ball rolling.