Are you thinking about new LED bathroom fixtures to kick off 2016? Here are some tips for choosing the right LEDs for your space:
- Pay attention to damp or wet-location listings. These certify that your fixture can withstand your bathroom's wet environment. Keep in mind there's a distinction between fixtures that are made specifically for steam showers/saunas and those that are made for your typical shower setup.
- Understand what the Lighting Facts label is telling you. This is a summary of a light's performance data. Sponsored by the Department of Energy, the label resembles the nutrition facts label you see on food packaging. Its goal is to protect consumers from exaggerated claims, ensuring a satisfactory buying experience.
- Pay attention to Kelvin temperature (K). A temperature of 2700K provides a warm light while 3000K provides a brighter, whiter (resembling halogen) light source. Another important note: different LED bulbs may have the same Kelvin temperature listed on the box, but Kelvin temperature can vary from one manufacturer to another.
- Look at the Color Rendering Index (CRI). CRI is the measurement of how well a light source presents colors of materials, surfaces, and objects authentically. A CRI of 90+ will beautifully highlight your paint colors and even skin tone.
- Review the warranty. What does the warranty cover? Who is the manufacturer? How long is the warranty? (It should be at least five years.) And if the warranty is for five-plus years, how likely will the manufacturer/supplier still be in business? It's important to consider where you're buying your products.
- Confirm that the fixture is UL or ETL listed. UL stands for Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. and ETL is a mark for Intertek Testing Services. Essentially, these certifications assure you that the fixture and bulb have gone through rigorous testing. Consider it a seal of approval. Note: most electricians will not install non-listed fixtures.
And below, you'll find some of our staff's favorite LED bathroom lighting fixtures.
1. Minka LED Bath Lamp. This practical LED sconce with a lovely polished nickel finish casts an even glow, which is a must-have in the bathroom. Choose one, two, or three lights
2. Tech Lighting Span LED Sconce. It will be no surprise to our regular readers that Tech Lighting made the list since we're huge fans. When the lights are off, this sconce looks like a simple plate of frosted glass. Turn on the lights and voilà! The entire surface lights up, thanks to edge-lit LED light guide technology. Available in 25" and 47" lengths.
3. Sonneman "Tubo" Sconce. Sonneman is another favorite here at Wolfers Lighting, and this particular sconce is no exception. It's a versatile, customizable LED bath lighting fixture available in many lengths and trim styles (e.g. drum trim, flat trim, spine trim).
4. Modern Forms "Maze" LED Vanity Light. You'll never be disappointed with Modern Forms. Inspired by the Piet Mondrian paintings of the De Stijl art movement, this eye-catching light fixture is sure to be a crowd pleaser thanks to the laser cut patterned stainless steel over silk-screened glass shade. Choose from multiple lengths and enjoy robust light levels.