Finally, the days are getting longer and spring is in the air! Here are three springtime tasks to add to your to-do list. Trust us—come summer, you'll be glad you did.
1.Audit your outdoor lighting. Before you know it, you'll be doing more entertaining outside. Think hosting backyard BBQs, making s'mores around the fire pit, and lounging by the pool. While we're all looking forward to extended daylight, you should still consider your outdoor lighting. (Not to mention that adding the right outdoor lights can instantly improve your home's curb appeal as well.)
- Check existing fixtures to make sure they cast enough light for guests to see up the driveway and/or along any paths that lead to the front door.
- Check to make sure your patio lighting is sufficient to entertain/eat/relax outside after the sun goes down.
- Read these other helpful articles: Adding value to your home with beautiful exterior lighting and Protect outdoor lighting with coastal finishes from Hubbardton Forge.
2. Spruce up your landscape lighting. Landscape lighting can supplement your overall outdoor lighting while potentially adding cool effects (think lighting for a waterfall in your garden, for example).
- Check the ratings of your landscape lighting fixtures. Saltwater-rated fixtures often carry lifetime finish warranties, meaning if they peel/flake/discolor, the manufacturer will replace them. Now is the time to start the replacement process.
- Consider replacing regular fixtures with saltwater-rated light fixtures (many manufacturers recommend saltwater ratings for applications within 20 miles of the ocean, an important point for our customers who live on the north and south shores)
- Check out these helpful articles: Landscape lighting ideas and Why you should use LEDs in your landscape lighting.
3. Consider investing in a ceiling fan. It may seem a long way off, but humid summer days and sultry nights will both be here before we know it.
- Consider replacing light fixtures in bedrooms, living areas, and kitchens with ceiling fans (with lights) to add energy savings for the summer. (Note: and ceiling fans aren't just for summer; you can use them in the winter to circulate warmer air.)
- Opt for "smarter" fans. Minka-Aire's new and existing fans integrate with BOND Home's fan system, meaning you can operate your fan via a smartphone app or even Alexa. (Read more here.)
- Check out these articles for more help: Selecting the perfect ceiling fan and Stylish ceiling fans for summer.
And, of course, our lighting experts are always available to answer questions. Make an appointment soon!