For your new year's resolutions, did you decide to tackle your bathroom or (finally) remodel your kitchen in 2018? Need some motivation? Consider the following:
- Renovations can increase the value of your home, which is a good thing, especially if you plan to sell in the next few years.
- Renovations can make life easier and improve day-to-day activities around the home.
- Renovations can come in all sizes and fit a variety of budgets. Even a quick paint job, change of window dressings, or new light fixture can transform and revitalize a room.
Whatever you're considering for 2018, Wolfers Lighting, System7, and The Boston Shade Company can help with certain aspects of your renovation, specifically lights, lighting controls, and smart home technology.
Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind as you plan.
- Get a handle on your project's scope. How much do you want to accomplish? Are you hoping to simply "refresh" the kitchen and bathroom with new cabinets and lights? Or are you hoping to completely gut the space and start over?
- Know your budget and timeline—and make sure both are realistic. Start with a wish list (hint: creating ideabooks on Houzz is a great place to start). From there, set up your priority list with the must-have items. This will help you make decisions later down the line.
When it comes to schedules, be prepared for glitches and delays. They're inevitable, but if you carefully define your timeline and communicate clearly with contractors, you can help mitigate this issue.
Pro tip: In addition to budgets and timelines, consider other criteria that you can share with a lighting expert, interior designer, or contractor. All of these folks can provide feedback and help you make selections. Download our helpful kitchen and bathroom lighting worksheets to get started.
- Educate yourself. Selecting the perfect shades, lighting, flooring, appliances—all of this requires knowledge. So research, research, research. Houzz is a great place to start. We also have an excellent resource section on our website. Don't guess or make decisions on a whim. Seeing certain items in person, such as light fixtures, can make all the difference—you won't always get an accurate representation simply by seeing a lighting product online.
Remember, contractors and lighting experts are your friends. From a full demo to just swapping out some fixtures and finishes, your contractor or lighting consultant can be more than just someone who shows up to work. (This Old House has some great tips on selecting a great contractor.)
Builders and electricians have years of experience and can help you navigate your remodel or renovation. Not to mention interior designers and lighting consultants can help you make important decisions, such as the kind of recessed lighting you should consider.
Are you thinking about a renovation or remodel in 2018? Our staff members at Wolfers Lighting, System 7, and The Boston Shade Company are happy to help you. Whether it's educating, making a wish list, determining the final selections, or delivering courteous customer service, we're here when you need us.