Ah, love is in the air! In honor of Valentine's Day, we're pulling together some of our favorite lighting tips and applications that will help create a romantic atmosphere in your home.
1. Remember, dimming is your friend. There's a reason why your favorite restaurant dims the lights—it helps make for an intimate and cozy setting. When it comes to your home, use dimmers to adjust the lights—or take advantage of full lighting control by using an app on your phone.
2. Think in terms of "warm" color temperature. When we hear the words "romantic evening," most of us probably think of candlelight dinners or snuggling up by the fireplace. What is it about these things that scream "romance"? The warm, amber lighting. So warming up the color temperature of your ambient light can have the same effect.
- Try warm-dim lamps in your usual fixtures, which will shift to amber as they dim.
- If you have fixtures with exposed bulbs, consider antique filament-style LEDs or antique-style incandescent lamps, both of which give off a warm light and often with the filaments spiraling or looping in a decorative way, like this bulb from the Bulbrite "Nostalgic" collection.
- If available, RGB lamps have the capability of producing extremely saturated colors—which can transform a familiar space into one with a whole different feeling.